This document describes Bright Interactive’s Dedicated Hosting Service including:
- The hosting environment and the level of service we provide if you decide to host your Asset Bank on one of our servers.
- The availability you can expect from Asset Bank when it is hosted on one of our dedicated solutions.
You should consider dedicated hosting if you require:
- Guaranteed allocation of system resources to support large numbers of concurrent users
- Support for custom requirements, e.g. a virtual private gateway using Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC).
- 24/7 automated monitoring and restoration of services e.g. if the Tomcat service fails or a URL monitoring alert is triggered when the application becomes unresponsive.
- A Dedicated Physical Server to ensure that your data is not hosted on the same physical hardware as others.
The hosting environment
We offer dedicated hosting facilities in EU, US, Canada, Bahrain, Hong Kong and Australia.
We use fully scalable, reliable, and responsive AWS EC2 Servers as the main platforms for our dedicated hosting solutions.
Dedicated Virtual Server
Virtual private servers are fully scalable, performant and cost-efficient. They can be up and running in minutes rather than having to purchase, install, and deploy a physical server rack. An Amazon EC2 dedicated virtual server is single tenanted as supposed to our multi-tenanted shared hosting platform but resides on shared hardware.
Pricing starts from £424 per month.
Available server configurations:
|Model||vCPU||Mem (GB)||SSD Storage (GB)||Dedicated EBS Bandwidth (Mbps)|
All dedicated hosting plans also include 1TB of outgoing bandwidth and 100GB of S3 storage for assets and thumbnails. If required additional local SSD storage can also be allocated.
Dedicated Physical Server
Some organizations need to make sure that their data is not hosted on the same physical hardware as others and so for this, we offer AWS Dedicated Instances. An Amazon EC2 Dedicated Host is a physical server with EC2 instance capacity fully dedicated to your use.
Please contact us for more information if you have a requirement for a dedicated physical server.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Debian GNU/Linux
Your original asset files and thumbnails will be stored in Amazon S3. Cloud storage offers the following benefits over dedicated server storage:
- It’s highly reliable—assets are redundantly stored on multiple devices across multiple facilities. Any corruption or storage failure is automatically corrected.
- It’s highly scalable—the storage never runs out, so you will never need to migrate your Asset Bank as your storage needs grow.
- It’s cheaper—there are no upfront storage costs to pay and because Amazon S3 stores many billions of files there are big economies of scale. We pass these savings onto you.
- It’s greener—storing a large number of assets on an in-house dedicated server is wasteful, even though the disks might be near capacity, memory and CPU are often very underutilised and this wastes power.
The Asset Bank URL benefits from 24/7 automated monitoring and restoration of services e.g. if the Tomcat service fails or a URL monitoring alert is triggered when the application becomes unresponsive.
Our Dedicated service offering provides, at least, 99.9% uptime.
We aim to perform all server maintenance outside of office hours. We will contact you in advance in the event of scheduled maintenance if it involves downtime of the Asset Bank within office hours.
Hosting is priced at a fixed monthly, quarterly, six monthly or yearly fee for a specified amount of storage space and bandwidth. If you exceed the agreed quotas we will notify you and discuss the options of reducing the amount used or paying for the extra capacity.
A comprehensive Backup and Disaster Recovery, Infrastructure Security and Application Security policy can be seen here:
In addition, we have a security vulnerability management and disclosure policy for Asset Bank, details of which can be seen here:
You are not entitled to credit for downtime or outages resulting from the denial of service attacks, virus attacks, hacking attempts, or any other circumstances that are not within our control.
We enforce rate limiting for the API and Direct Link Cache for all customers who host with us. Full details can be found in our article on Rate Limiting.
Dedicated Hosting Architecture
Figure 1 illustrates the architecture of our dedicated hosting service.
Figure 1: Dedicated Hosting Architecture
Obtaining Your Data
The data associated with your Asset Bank belongs to you, and you have the right to request a copy of it at any time. We provide two methods for this:
- Cloud sync: We can sync all of your data through the cloud for you. This is a fast, reliable and cost-effective solution. Our preferred method is using an Amazon S3 bucket. If you have questions about setting one of these up then we can advise you on that as well.
- Removable media: We can send your data to you by post either on request or on a regular basis (for example, once a month). You will need to provide us with a removable USB disk onto which we will write the data.
If you would like a copy of your data then please get in touch, so we can work out the best option for you and supply you with a quote.
Problems with the availability of your Asset Bank can be logged with Bright Interactive during its standard Customer Support hours (described in the document Customer Support Service Description).
Other Hosting Options
We also provide a shared hosting service that is suitable for the majority of our customers’ needs. It is cost-effective, performant and reliable, and supports the growth of your Asset Bank without large upfront investment.
For more information please refer to our Shared Hosting Service Description.
Revision Date: May 18th 2020