You can archive or expire assets in a number of ways, depending on whether you want to leave the assets within Asset Bank or remove them completely.
Archive and leave in Asset Bank
If you want to flag assets as 'archived', but still have them searchable by admin users, you need to mark them as 'archived'. The simplest way to achieve this is by using the 'Active Status' field:
- Set the 'Active Status' of the asset to 'Expired'. By default, this will hide the asset from any non-admin users (the visibility of assets with this status is controlled by the 'attribute visibility' settings for each group).
- Alternatively, you could rename 'Expired' to 'Archived', or add another value to 'Active Status' called 'Archived' so that you have both 'Expired' and 'Archived'.
- If you want an asset to expire (or become 'archived') at a particular date, enter a value for the 'Expiry Date' field of the asset. When this date passes, the 'Active Status' will be set automatically to 'Expired'. (This is controlled by the 'rules' that are set for the 'Expiry Date' field - by default a rule changes the 'Active Status' when the date passes, but you could create other rules, for example to email admin users when the asset is about to expire).
Another technique is to create an 'folder' called 'Expired' and to set the group permissions accordingly (e.g. so that only certain groups can see the assets within it). Then, move the assets that you want to expire into this folder.
Archive and remove from Asset Bank
If you want to permanently remove assets from Asset Bank then you can perform an 'export' and then 'bulk delete':
- As an admin user, perform a search to return the assets you want to archive. You could combine one of the above techniques for expiring assets with this, for example by searching for assets that have an 'Active Status' or expired, and/or an expiry date of older than 3 months ago.
- On the search results page, click 'Export results' at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the instructions to export the files and metadata for the assets in the result set. Save the zip file and metadata file somewhere as you may want to reimport these assets in the future (which you can do using Asset Bank's 'Bulk Upload' and 'Metadata Import' facilities).
- When the export has finished, click the link 'Delete exported assets' to permanently remove the assets you have just exported.