Organisational units enable devolved administration of Asset Bank groups and users.
The super user creates organisational units and adds one or more administrative users to each.These org unit administrators can then manage the set-up of folders, users and groups inside their own organisational unit.
Folders are used to manage access to items. Each organisational unit has one root folder. If required, sub-folders may be added.
In general, organisational units are self contained "departments" - so users within different organisational units will have access to different sets of items.
Enabling organisational units functionality
To enable 'org units' change the following setting (in ApplicationSettings.properties) to true:
Creating organisational units
When you add an organisational unit, the following are created as part of it:
- A folder with the name you give
- An admin group, with full permissions on the new folder and the right to manage users
- A standard user group, with view-only permissions on the new folder.
You must add at least one user to the admin group (Users menu item), so that you can devolve responsibility for the unit to them. Further users may be added by them or by yourself.
In addition, the following setup actions can be done by yourself or by org unit admins, as required:
- Add sublevels to the folder
- Add further groups
- Set permissions for the groups in the organisational unit.
Removing organisational units
When you delete an organisational unit, the folders, groups and users within will also be deleted. Any users and items within will not be deleted but will be orphaned. So before deleting an organisational unit, first:
- Delete all users in the org unit or move them to different groups
- Delete all items in the org unit or move them to different folders.
Managing your organisational unit(s)
Usually you will have one organisational unit to manage, although there may be more than one. You can manage an organisational unit in the following ways:
- Change the name (and the name of the corresponding folder)
- Add sublevels to the root folder if required
- Manage the groups within your organisational unit (Groups menu item).
- Approve users wanting to join your organisational unit (Approve Users menu item).
- Manage the users within your organisational unit (Users menu item).
- View details of the org unit (the admin users, normal users and outstanding acknowledgements) (from the Admin > Org Units page)
- Update the content for the org unit extra content page. This extra content page is shown in the left hand menu for all org unit users if content has been provided for the page. You can edit both the content of the page itself and the text that is used for the left hand menu item (from the Admin > Org Units page)