- Stop the Tomcat service currently running on the server.
- Take a copy of the [tomcat]/webapps/asset-bank directory, or the [tomcat]/webapps/ROOT directory if you are running Asset Bank from the ROOT webapp, and move it outside of the Tomcat installation folder.
- Run the Tomcat Service Manager utility [tomcat]\bin\tomcat8w.ex and make a note of the account running the service in the 'Log On' tab and the location of the JVM in the 'Java' tab.
- Uninstall the existing version of Tomcat.
- Install the latest version of Tomcat 8 or Tomcat 9. In the installation wizard:
- On the 'Choose Components' panel, deselect Start Menu Items, Manager and Documentation, then expand the Tomcat item and select Core, Service and Native.
- On the Configuration panel confirm the default connector port and service name. We recommend that you use the default values.
- On the Jva Virtual Machine panel select the path to the JVM the old version of Tomcat was pointing to.
- We recommend you install it to the same directory as the old version of Tomcat which is typically at the root of a drive eg. C:\Tomcat.
- You need to change the default memory allocation for Tomcat as the default is not optimal for a production server. Run the Tomcat Service Manager utility [tomcat]\bin\tomcat8w.exe, unless you already have this running as a tray icon. On the Java tab, set values for memory pool. We recommend that the maximum memory is set to half the server RAM and the initial memory is half of that. For example a server with 16GB RAM would have the values:
- Initial memory pool=4096
- Maximum memory pool=8192.
- Open the file [tomcat]/conf/server.xml in a text editor and find the Connector elements. The AJP connector may be disabled by default so uncomment it if it is. Add the attribute secretRequired="false" to the HTTP Connector element and URIEncoding="UTF-8" to both the HTTP Connector and AJP Connector elements. If there is an address="::1" parameter in the HTTP Connector element then remove this. The Connector elements should read as such:
<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
- Copy the webapp back to the [tomcat]/webapps/asset-bank directory, or the [tomcat]/webapps/ROOT directory if you are running Asset Bank from the ROOT webapp.
- Start the new Tomcat service.