What is happening?
One of the technologies that powers Asset Bank is a product called Java, built by a company called Oracle. Historically, this product has been provided by Oracle free of charge. As of February 2019, Oracle will no longer be offering support for the Java version used by Asset Bank (JDK 1.8) to commercial or business users for free. Instead, business customers who wish to continue using JDK 1.8 will be required to purchase a subscription in order to continue receiving updates to their Java installation.
How does this affect Asset Bank?
For all customers on the Asset Bank Cloud, you will not be affected as your subscription covers full access to Asset Bank and we take care of everything else.
If you are an "On-Premise" customer who hosts Asset Bank on your own infrastructure, and you are running Java JDK 1.8, as of 1st February 2019 your Java installation will cease receiving software and security updates. Note that this will not prevent your Asset Bank from running, so your users will not be affected in the short-term, but your version of Java will be unsupported by Oracle.
How can I tell if my version of Java is affected?
First you need identify which version of Java your Asset Bank is using.
If your Asset Bank is using JDK 1.8, then you are affected and should follow the guidance in the rest of this article.
I am an on-premise customer running an affected version of Java. What are my options?
You have two options:
- Purchase a Java SE 8 subscription, details of which can be found here. Use the support/phone links at the bottom of the Oracle store to get in touch with a pricing representative at Oracle who will be able to provide you a quote tailored to your own infrastructure requirements.
- Switch to AdoptOpenJDK, a free community-supported version of Java, that is also supported by Asset Bank (version 3.1720 onwards). For instructions on how to do this, click here.
Please note that as an on-premise customer, Bright Interactive cannot provide direct support for either of the above two options. If you have a Support Agreement with us, please do get in touch if you have questions and we will do what we can to help.
What happens if I stay on my current version of Java?
- Your version of Java will be unsupported by Oracle. This means you will not receive any updates, including those that patch critical or security issues, or benefit from any other improvements or benefits.
- If you have an Asset Bank Support Agreement for your on-premise licence, any problem you encounter, or support request you submit, that might possibly relate to your unsupported version of Java, will considered out of scope and we will not be able to help you with this while you remain on that version of Java.
External resources / further reading for Administrators
- Java Support Roadmap: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/java-se-support-roadmap.html
- Java SE Subscription Overview: https://www.oracle.com/java/java-se-subscription.html
- Java SE subscription FAQ: https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaseproducts/overview/javasesubscriptionfaq-4891443.html
- Benefits of the Asset Bank Cloud: https://support.assetbank.co.uk/hc/en-gb/articles/360004967891-How-can-I-move-to-Asset-Bank-Cloud-
- Oracle Store: https://shop.oracle.com/apex/f?p=dstore:home:0