Asset Types are initially chosen by an uploader during the upload process and by design it is not possible to change the asset type of an asset via the standard edit & update tools.
However if you have mistakenly uploaded an asset to the wrong asset type, or there are a number of existing assets you need to assign to a new asset type, this is achievable by performing a metadata export & re-import.
Before following these steps, we recommend speaking to our support team to understand if this is the best option. You'll need access to a spreadsheet application such as Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc. The process is as follows:
1. Perform a search, or add to a Lightbox the assets which you wish to change - then export them.
At the bottom of a search results page you'll be able to click a link which allows you to export the results:
In the screenshot below i've added 4 assets to a Lightbox and clicked 'Export Assets' from the 'More' dropdown menu. These assets were originally uploaded to the Item asset type but we're going change this to an asset type named Photography which has already been created and configured in Admin > Asset Types.
2. On the Export Assets screen, click Run Export. There's no need to select any of the Export options.
3. The export will run and generate a (tab-delimited) .txt file which you can open in your spreadsheet application. This export shows all of the metadata fields associated with these assets in columns and each asset on a unique row.
In the below example, the current asset type (Item) for these assets are listed under the entityName in column AN. The column will differ on your export based on how many attributes you use across your site.
4. Edit the cells for each asset, replacing the Item asset type with Photography
5. Save the file and back in Asset Bank, navigate to Update Assets > Metadata Import
Click 'Start new metadata import' and on the next page browse for the .txt file you edited and saved in the previous step. Click Submit.
6. Asset Bank will now check the file for errors and if successful it will prompt you to start the update. If you see any errors during the metadata check which you are unsure about, please contact our support team.
7. Below we're told the import was successfully read and the metadata import has completed without issue.