Asset Bank's metadata import requires the data file to be tab-delimited and encoded in UTF-8. It is often easy to edit the data file in Excel, but you must save it as tab-delimited, encoded as UTF-8 - otherwise Asset Bank may not be able to import it, or you may see strange characters (e.g. question marks) in the place of non-ASCII characters.
To save a text file as tab-delimited, UTF-8 encoded in Excel:
- Choose File->Save as from the menu.
- In the 'Save as type' dropdown > select 'Text (Tab delimited) (*.txt)'
- Select 'Web Options' in the 'Tools...' dropdown at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Select the 'Encoding' tab.
- In the 'Save this document as:' dropdown, select 'Unicode (UTF-8)'
If your spreadsheet contains non-standard characters (e.g. accented or non-roman) then there is an alternative process below which can help to ensure these characters are displayed correctly when imported into Asset Bank: